Tuesday, February 13, 2007

HMV and Fopp: all change in music retailing

Not so long ago, music retail in the UK was dominated by two chains, HMV and Virgin. A number of niche operators, Andy’s Records, Music Zone, and MVC included, briefly challenged their dominance before bowing out of a fiercely competitive marketplace.

But the chains are still under threat, from three directions – digital downloads, online sales (Amazon et al) and the supermarkets. And Fopp, favourite retailer of Music for Grown-Ups, is getting better and bigger all the time.

Thanks to Mike Ollier for reporting what’s happening where he shops:

“Bugger ~ Music Zone in Sunderland has closed down... they went into administration, as you probably know.

“This Saturday I wanted a DVD of Kevin Smith's and went into the dreaded HMV... I hate giving them my money. As usual, I was shocked to see the DVD was £17 (dunno why I'm always shocked, but I still am at the audacity with which they can charge such prices). I coulda got it on the net but I really wanted it so, whilst gnashing my teeth, I paid... my hands were like Arkwright's till and the assistant wrenched the note from my hand.

“I went through the mall (hey look, Kevin Smith is rubbing off on me) and.... huh.... Music Zone has been taken over by Fopp. Yippee. But I'd just bought my DVD in HMV and was sad again!

“They had no new releases, though, and it hasn't been branded and is, unfortunately, a small store but still... Julie will know where to find me on my days off work. I can't wait for them to open properly!”