Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Levon Helm’s Midnight Ramble in Woodstock

Thanks to Larry Kosofsky:

“I finally got around to going to Levon's Ramble last night - the Hallowe’en edition, no less. I live only 30 miles away, and I don't know what kept me from getting there sooner.

“This is American music at its best – a down-home jamboree of the highest quality. The Alexis Sutter Band kicked it off at 8 pm, followed by the Felice Brothers, and finally Levon, Larry Campbell, Teresa Williams and a group that included string bass, keyboards, trombone and saxophone.

“Forgive me for not getting all the members' names; I was too busy having fun. There's an additional lead guitarist who shared vocals, another drummer who took over for Levon when he picked up the mandolin, and of course Little Sammy Davis, who came on to sing a half dozen blues numbers in two stints.

“It's a great scene: about a hundred people scattered around Levon's Woodstock, N.Y. studio, with free food and drink available, mostly brought by the audience members to be shared.

“I won't go into a detailed breakdown of all the music, but I will say that you won't be disappointed when you go. The high point for me was Levon's rendition of a tune from his excellent new CD "Dirt Farmer", "Got Me a Woman." We also heard "Ophelia", "The Weight", and a version of "Chest Fever" that featured Larry Campbell playing Garth Hudson's organ intro on electric guitar.

“The joint was rockin' - Levon's backbeat makes the band swing all down the line.

“Not much more to say, just get there if you can; the money's going to a good cause (you can read about Levon's struggles in other places) and it's an unforgettable night. Visit Levon's website to make a reservation. I will be back.”