Thursday, October 25, 2007

Hype and over-hype

All music – performances and recordings – is subject to hype. The musician’s management and record label need to catch your attention, in a very crowded marketplace. I have no problem there: music is business, as well as art.

Occasionally, you’re on the receiving end of big-budget hype – when someone’s investing heavily to get your attention. The clue is that you’ve never heard of a new musician on Monday, but by Friday s/he seems like an old family friend. Occasionally the newly launched talent makes it to your list of favourites; mostly they don’t.

Though I’m a dedicated follower of opera, and a regular attender at London’s Royal Opera House, I was mystified when a new-to-me soprano called Kate Royal suddenly seemed to be everywhere in my musicscape. Someone, somewhere was working hard to try make her into a household name. She might well be a talented performer, but the hype made me wary. It had the opposite of the desired effect. There are dozens of female singers I’ll be exploring first.



Gerry Smith