Thursday, December 14, 2006

Satanic Stones - maybe, but rather less than majestic

Grappling with how many tracks from a few weaker Rolling Stones albums to add to my iTunes collection, I’ve been listening carefully to Their Satanic Majesties Request, for the first time in a quarter of a century.

Yes, the psychedelic extravaganza has a few strong songs – notably She’s A Rainbow and 2000 Light Years From Home - but most of it sounds even weaker than it did on release in 1967 – ill-conceived, indulgent, crying out for a strong producer with the power to say “No!”.

Checking out critical approval for my rejection of most tracks, I re-read Acid Reign, a long article praising the album by Dave DiMartino, in 2003’s MOJO Special Edition, marking the band’s 40th Anniversary.

Now I’m all for contrarian views on music. But I just can’t believe that DiMartino was being entirely serious: “one of the strongest albums in the band’s catalogue, and maybe even one of the strongest albums of the ‘60s… throughout, an absolute delight… “

After several listens, my own considered reaction to Satanic Majesties echoes that of Keefe, quoted near the end of the article – “a load of crap.”

With Satanic Majesties, the Stones made the strategic error of following the Beatles, and recorded their weakest album of all.

No coincidence, I’d say.




Gerry Smith