Thursday, November 15, 2007

Sonny Rollins and Chick Corea headline at London Jazz Festival – from Friday

The London Jazz Festival, which runs from Friday 16 until Sunday 25 November in a variety of venues, showcases some compelling big names, including Sonny Rollins, Chick Corea, Jan Garbarek and Tord Gustavsen.

My copy of the programme, printed before his recent death, also advertises a gig by Joe Zawinul, the biggest name of all, and a gig I intended to catch. The obsolete listing is a reminder of music’s sad loss.

The opening night gig, We All Love Ella, with numerous vocalists covering the Fitzgerald songbook, doesn’t ring my bell, even though I’m big Ella fan. I didn’t buy the recent album of the same name, either – I don’t get it, when you can listen to the real thing instead.


www.londonjazzfestival.org.uk



Gerry Smith